Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Fraction Puzzle

Eli LOVES his fraction puzzle! While Scott was setting up his classroom for the new school year, we started visiting Daddy's classroom. Eli found Scott's fraction kits. Eli called them fraction puzzles and has spent many happy hours playing with them in Daddy's classroom. After bringing both Grandmas to Daddy's classroom to indulge his fraction puzzle fixation, Dendi and Eli visited the Education Station to try to find one of his own. They couldn't find the exact kind they were looking for, but the replacement has been just as popular. In fact, it's such a hit that Eli brought it for Show and Tell today, (Sept.1).

These fraction puzzles have also factored into a magical time we call Eli Play Time. Since he was a tiny baby Eli likes to be entertained as much as possible. And, if entertainment is not possible, he likes to at least have someone sitting next to him. While I know that this time is finite, and I will mourn it when it's over, I needed some time to clean the house and play with Keira. He's slowly starting to self entertain more and more anyway, but Eli Play Time was a way to encourage independence when I had something to do. For every ten minutes he plays by himself, he gets a sticker. The sticker charts are such a hit that he will often ask how many minutes of Eli Play Time he needs to finish his present sticker chart, and then he will try to play by himself for that many minutes. The other day, he tried 80 minutes. Of course, that was way too long in one sitting, but I think he did do 20 or 30, which was great, too. His favorite prizes for a completed sticker chart continue to be temporary tattoos and 30 minutes of extra video time, but we've also added playing a token game at Jump To It.

No comments: