Sunday, October 4, 2009

My Sweet Little Sickie


I got this great picture of Keira with Dendi's camera on our water tower day. I've been sadly behind keeping up with the blog for three reasons -- our nap struggle, our Nap Walks (I used to blog at nap time) and finally, because of Keira's sickness. Two weeks ago, during our nap battles Eli got a little cold. Keira caught it and it turned nasty. She gurgles and wheezes when she breathes, so with our family history, I took her in early last week to see the doctor. Thankfully, her lungs were clear. But, the doctor said, given all the breathing issues in our house, he's glad I brought her in. He also told me what to look for in case I have to bring her back in.

The next day, she sounded even worse, and using his suggestions, I looked at Keira's chest and she seemed to be struggling to breathe. Her tummy was extending more than usual, and there was a clear line between her ribs and her belly. Not wanting to visit the doctor again in vain, I called the advice nurse and described what I saw. She said that it sounded like she was retracting and told me that I had to bring her in. The doctor that we saw that day, noted the retracting, listened to her lungs and told me they were clear again. She said that Keira looked okay for now, but that she wouldn't be surprised if we came in again on Friday. So far, we haven't been back. Her gurgling and retracting have gotten slightly worse, but as far as I can tell it's not in her lungs. We may be going back in tomorrow, if she doesn't get any better.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Poor Keira! :(

Glad to hear you've found Eli's sleep solution- it was nice "chatting" with you about our frustratingly lovable little boys!