
Scott took me by complete surprise on Friday morning. He had a bittersweet three day weekend -- Friday was supposed to be a teacher workday and they were furloughed. So, we got to spend three days together, but we had to take the pay cut. When Keira and I got up, he was already moving around the house, seemingly cleaning up. Unfortunately, now that I'm the mother of two, I can't seem to keep the house under control. When I couldn't find my allergy medicine, Scott finally told me that he was surpising me and taking us out of town. I love being surprised and I love going out of town. What a good husband! The interesting wrinkle in the plan was that Keira was getting baptized on Sunday, so it was a short trip. But, we packed as much fun into a little over twenty four hours as we could. We had a great time. And, we were back with plenty of time to spare to enjoy baptizing Keira. All in all, we had a busy, wonderful weekend.
We had a surprisingly uneventful three hour drive up to Cloudland Canyon on Friday morning. Unfortunately, both kids only slept about a half an hour, but considering we had two kids awake for two and a half hours we did amazingly well. Keira is slowly but surely doing better in the car. And, luckily Eli entertained himself the whole way. Another boon was that the Moores let us borrow the minivan. That way I'm able to sit within arms reach of both kids and keep everyone happy.
This was our second trip to Cloudland Canyon. The first time we went Eli was eighteen months old and it was my surprise for Scott. Of course, when it's my surprise we drive there via Chatanooga, but we did get there, eventually. We love the park. It's an especially beautiful place to take in the changing fall colors. To Scott and I, it felt like we had just been there. But, in the life of a child it was forever ago. Here's what Eli looked like during our last visit...

Scott and I knew that we would have a good time, but we weren't sure what Eli would think. Fortunately, he loved it. In fact, he's now calling it his "new favorite place", and trying to plan our next two weekends there. Especially surprising was how much he loved our cottage. He found the most everyday things exciting and intriguing. Here he is shortly after we arrived running outside of the cottage, swinging down from the wheelchair ramp and playing his door game. That boy has been fascinated with doors since before he could walk. Apparently, the fascination has not worn off.



After unpacking, we spent the remainder of our day exploring the park's three playgrounds. I'm sure Uncle Brian and Ms. Kathryn will approve -- Eli now likes to bring along a frisbee. And, as you can see from all the bundling... it was COLD!

No comments:
Post a Comment