Saturday, June 30, 2012

Grandpa Jan's Visit, Part I -- Time with Dad

Grandpa Jan came to visit at the beginning of May.  He stayed with us, and we had a wonderful visit.  It was especially exciting to see him since we hadn't seen him since Elijah was a few months old and Keira had never met him.  We had a lot of catching up to do!  It was also great for Seana and I to spend time with Dad in person after all these years.

As Tom and Diane commented after he left,  Dad was a courteous and easy guest.  He didn't want to be entertained or shuttled around to tourist attractions.  He just wanted to spend his time living our lives with us and spending time with us.  For Dad and I, that meant lots of time to talk.  I think we spent nearly eight hours each day sitting at the kitchen table talking, talking and more talking.  It was fabulous.  It was also great having him around day to day seeing how we live our lives.  He came to Tiny Tunes with Keira and I one day, to Elijah's school to eat lunch, to Elijah's soccer game, and then the Spring Fling (more on that later.)  But, mostly we spent our time around the house.  He got to see everything, even the mundane tasks like laundry.


Another exception to our around the house time was a few good meals out.  One night we went out to El Ranchero with Seana and Josh.


Then, one morning we met Seana and Josh at Mike and C's and ate brunch .  Per Grandma Karen's request, we got a great picture of Dad, Seana, me and the grandkids in front of the restaurant.  I'm glad she had the idea.  :)


No comments: