Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Imagine It

On the last weekend before Daddy went back to work I wanted to do something special. We decided to visit Imagine It again. We had a great day. Interestingly, Scott and I thought the museum was a little run down and worse for the wear (possibly related to the economy), but the kids didn't care. They had an absolute ball. Keira had a blast running around and exploring everything as it was her first visit. She enjoyed playing with it all including the moon sand and the kitchen.



But, Keira's overwhelming favorite was the painting wall. I'm almost a little embarrassed to say that she'd never painted before. We'd done lots of coloring with crayons and markers, but never paint. She loved it! We went back multiple times to that area where she would carefully, and with alert concentration, paint with one color then the next. She outstayed most of the kids each time and had to go up several times to refill her palette. I loved watching her rapt attention and careful technique. Elijah visited his sister at her favorite spot and did a little painting of his own. I love watching him paint and draw now -- he seems very interested in depicting something now, rather than just playing with color. Fortunately, it seems Elijah got Scott's gift of realistic depiction, I was never very good at that.




As in the past, Elijah's favorite destination was probably the ball machine. He spent most of his time refilling the ball machine and watching where they came out. This trip he seemed to have a much more sophisticated understanding of the different routes and how to interact with the machine in different ways. Yet, he also enjoyed the store and playing an intricate game with the cash register and scales. I got the best Elijah smiles of the day from a little milk display. It was a wall mounted center that showed the process milk takes from the cow to the store. At the end, it burst out in song "I love Milk!" To Elijah's amusement it was based on one of our favorite Kid's Place Live Songs.




One of Elijah's favorite parts of visiting Imagine It is playing at the park across the street. Even though it was HOT, we crossed the street for a snack and a quick play time.




Both kids crashed out in the car on the way home. They'd earned their full day of play.

No comments: