Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Belatedely -- Bob at Imagine It

This past Saturday we spent our third fun-filled day at Imagine It in Atlanta. We didn't bring the camera, but I figured that I should FINALLY post an entry about our first visit...

Over the Christmas break, Grammie, Uncle Brian, Scott, Eli and I all went to the Children's Museum in Atlanta to see their Bob the Builder exhibit. The museum is called Imagine It and Scott and I were quite impressed. In fact, we joined for the year with some of our Christmas money. Seana had actually spotted the exhibit months ago on signs in Atlanta, and had told me about it since she knew that Eli loves Bob the Builder. But, I wasn't sure about it, since I knew that those museums tend to be expensive and you never can tell how age appropriate something will be or how much Eli will enjoy it. Then, Grammie was working at the thrift store and a woman who had a two year old grandson raved about it. So, not only did we have a two year old's testimonial, but now Grammie wanted to come and pay (thanks Mom!)

The Bob the Builder exhibit was a hit. He enjoyed interacting with the characters from Bob. In fact, he seemed a little star struck. Brian even got in on the fun.






The little show they put on a few times each day was a little over his head. They had staff members dressed up as builders, but Eli kept asking, "Where's Bob?" So, we decided to walk around and play while the show was going.


Eli really liked the little display of buttons. It had buttons for each of the characters and when he pushed them they would say their lines from the show. In fact, all of the characters had hidden buttons on them. I thought Eli would want to drive Muck, Lofty and Scoop, but instead he had more fun looking for their hidden buttons.


Eli found this yellow Bob hat lying around, they provided them for kids to use for dress up. It completed his Bob outfit. He loves his Bob overalls and coordinating Bob shirt. After wearing the hat for a while, Eli put his hat on Uncle Brian who wasn't too impressed.



The Bob exhibit featured Bob Duplos. Eli wasn't too interested, as he got most of the Bob Duplos for Christmas. But, he did go over to them, found the Roley and headed off. We had no idea where he was going. I guess he decided that the little Roley belonged with the big Roley. Pretty cute.


The Bob the Builder exhibit was definitely a hit, but the reason we joined is that the standing exhibits at the museum were just as good if not better. Two of Eli's favorites were the Moon Sand table (I think we spent at least an hour there) and the painting on the wall.




One final highlight of the day -- Bob appeared. Late that afternoon, Big Bob (as we affectionately called him) appeared and had a little show. Eli was transfixed, and it redeemed the earlier show. Eli loved to watch him dance and when it was time to take pictures with Bob Eli actually said that he was interested!!! So, we gave it a shot, he was okay until Big Bob reached out and touched him, then he hid his face against me. But, it was serious progress, there may be hope yet for pictures with Santa next year.

No comments: